got something to post? email us: blog@diabeteshappens.com

Friday, February 1, 2008

PUMP IT UP

As a diabetic, I try to stay in tune with new developments that can help me operate as normally as possible. As such, the insulin pump has been a device that I’ve been told I have to try; it will change my life for the better. There are a couple of reasons why I haven’t switched over (yep, still a proud insulin pen user – Humalog and Lantusyou’re my dawgs).

First, I don’t like the idea of having a machine connected to my body. It makes my stomach turn a little bit. The wires from machine to body make the pump seem way closer to the Terminator than something to make me healthier. The other complaint is a bit more sartorial: I just don’t like the fact that most pumps look like a pager (plus wires) hanging on a belt clip. Sorry, I like to look good and dress well, and having a pager stuck on my belt line just isn’t helping me out.

Now there have been a lot of changes, and the FDA has even approved wireless insulin pumps which are way less T1000, but no where near 007 enough.

Not that some people haven’t done wonders: Jim Bukvald made a great effort, but I think there’s still some wire issues. And the Omnipod actually looks nice, and conveniently the pod itself is separate and can just slide into your pocket, in my opinion it’s the best thing out there right now in terms of functionality and style. But things could still be better.

What if Apple and their iPod geniuses tackled the insulin pump? I’m definitely not the first person to talk about this. In fact, Amy Tenderich has already posted an online plea to Steve Jobs asking that very question:

And she is not alone:

And there is a great market for this sort of thinking: 20 million Americans have diabetes (hey, it happens), and thousands of clinics and hospitals across the country help those 20 millions manage the condition. If Apple were to create a new pump, with software to go with their new MacBook Air to help individual users as well as hospitals and clinics follow, monitor, and chart sugar levels, insulin doses, and carb intake, all through the use of a simple USB plug, I believe that not only would the sale of the iPump be incredible, but Apple would also see general sales go up.

And what young diabetic wouldn’t be way more involved in their glucose numbers if while their information was downloading for the iPump, they could be downloading the new Akon song?

2 comments:

Yost said...

Mike- I totally agree about the whole thing about having the pump attached to you. It appears that that would be a major drag, as well as put a damper on our sexy appearance. However I am starting to dread the shots. Having diabetes for 20 years now is starting to take a toll on my body. My stomach and arms and legs are just beat up. Shots just used to be second nature for me, but now I kind of dread them. Its kinda weird but its happening to me. Is this situation happening to any others? Speaking of this, time for another shot after that taco del mar i just threw down.

John Mark said...

It is the 21st century and I may not be the greatest user of technology at home (my wife is the bomb in this area in terms of at-home computer/printer technology installation and usage) and in the work place (I am surrounded by smart people that fix and install stuff fast-style), but I embrace the technology as it pertains to diabetes management! I am a big proponent of the insulin pump, but need breaks ever so often, and will resort to the pen or needle therapy to give my gut and mind a break. My favorite part of wearing an insulin pump is going thru security at an airport. You can wear it and the horn doesn't start beeping when you strut thru the machine. The best part is when a security agent notices it and thinks it is a beeper and tries to stop me (understandably so), and then I throw out "Diabetes Happens my friend", then they stand down and say "agreed, proceed my diabetic friend." Get the pump as soon as possible and achieve the goal of all strong committed diabetics - Balance!